Contents Insurance – Explained

Contents Insurance – Explained

Home insurance is there to cover you in unforeseen and unexpected circumstances.

Home insurance does not just mean the building itself, you also need to have your contents covered.

Contents insurance will primarily cover you for damage to the contents of your property due to Fire, Flood, Escape of Water, Theft etc.

Please bear in mind that all insurance policies will generally exclude deterioration, mechanical breakdown and general wear & tear.


What do insurance companies class as contents?


*Household Goods

*Clothing and shoes

*Furniture and Furnishings

*Personal effects (wallets, handbags, mobile phones, jewellery, hearing aids

*Money up to €650


Contents never include:


*Property that is already insured

*Motor vehicles

*Passports/driving licences etc.


How much should I insure my contents for?


Contents should be insured for replacing the contents “as new” at the present price. Contents should include everything you’d take with you if you were to move house. The Sum Insured should also include all items in your garden or/and your shed.


All Risks Cover

You should select this type of cover if you’re planning on taking the personal item with you, outside the home i.e. for jewellery, photographic equipment etc.

It covers you for loss or theft and accidental damage to the items both inside and outside your home.


The Policy “Excess”


An excess is the amount of money you are responsible for when making a claim. It is taken from the total claim settlement amount.


Thank you for reading.